Sara Reed, art and design historian and ICA supporter, discusses her expectations and hopes for the ICA.

1. What does the ICA mean to you and why do you support it?
I really see the ICA as a place for making connections, bringing our community together to make new connections through challenging and innovative works of contemporary art. Richmond is already a really vibrant, diverse community and I believe this space will be a means to draw out the best in all of us.

2. What influence has art had on your life?
I am not an artist, but art has greatly impacted my life as a catalyst for thinking about new ideas, serving as a looking glass into new perspectives that may be foreign from my own or as a mirror reflecting and consistently challenging my way of thinking.

3. What impact do you think the ICA will have on Richmond?
The ICA will no doubt have a tremendous economic and cultural impact on our community, but I am most interested in the experience of the building itself. Steven Holl’s building is going to have a dramatic impact on our built environment, which is already so rich in historic architecture. I really see it as a next chapter, looking forward, inviting our community in for conversation and inspiration.

4. If you could have lunch with any contemporary artist, living or dead, who would it be and why?
Such a hard question! There are so many amazing artists right here in Richmond, and at VCU, in particular, who continually inspire me. I look forward to extending our conversations and thinking by bringing internationally acclaimed artists and their work to the ICA. Hopefully that will include Los Carpinteros, a group of Cuban artists who create conceptually rich, beautifully rendered and witty installations that often comment on the political situation in Cuba. And, of course, I would take them to Kuba Kuba.

Sara Reed is an Adjunct Professor, teaching a graduate level course in history and theory of interior environments, in the Department of Interior Design at VCU School of the Arts. She enjoys working with students to develop their research interests and enrich their design practice through historical and theoretical analysis. Sara’s doctoral work at the University of Delaware focused on American material culture studies with an emphasis on American art and decorative arts. However, her dissertation expands further into the Atlantic world by examining domestic advice found in Cuban popular magazines during the 1950s and 1960s, uncovering ideals of modernity and domesticity during a critical time of shifting ideologies.