Micheal Sparks, design and branding expert and ICA supporter, discusses his expectations and hopes for the ICA.

1. What does the ICA mean to you and why do you support it?
Through art and its geographic location, the ICA will act as a “bridge” for the community to come together and discuss issues using contemporary art as a platform.

2. What influence has art had on your life?
Being in the creative industry for over 30 years, working in many mediums, I’ve used art to help mold my work and sometimes launch campaigns and/or collections. Shapes, colors, and even an artist’s interpretations can help in one’s creative briefs.

3. What impact do you think the ICA will have on Richmond?
I’m hoping that the ICA will be the catalyst for retail, galleries, and innovative dining in the upper Broad Street region. In fact, I think it has already started!

4. If you could have lunch with any contemporary artist, living or dead, who would it be and why?
Jean-Michel Basquiat

In all aspects of Expressionism, he made a path for other young artists to follow and influenced a new group, including Julian Schnabel and Susan Rothenberg. I can only hope that I can do the same in my work.

Micheal Sparks is the founder and creative director of Micheal Sparks Designs, a luxury branding and design business in Richmond, Virginia. Sparks is an internationally known design and branding expert, counting among his clients a range of high-end retail and fashion establishments, well-known celebrities and world-class organizations including Louis Vuitton, FashionistaTea, International Council of Fine Arts Deans, and Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU).