Sally Bowring, artist, public art advocate, and ICA supporter, discusses her expectations and hopes for the ICA.

1. What does the ICA mean to you and why do you support it?
I came to Richmond for the first time in 1978, arriving on the opening night of 1708 Gallery, an amazing addition to Richmond! I have witnessed the impact of the renovated Virginia Museum of Fine Arts and have been part of the enormous growth of VCU’s School of the Arts since I’ve taught there for more than 30 years. I anticipate the ICA will continue the extraordinary growth of Richmond’s visual arts community. I fully support it because I trust it will bring the most contemporary and significant artwork to Richmond. I also support it because it was a dream of a dear friend Bev Reynolds.

2. What influence has art had on your life?
I grew up in New York City, in a home full of art, music, many books, and the New York Times. Because of these influences, I became an artist – painting has already explained how to understand life.

3. What impact do you think the ICA will have on Richmond?
If the ICA is as good as I hope it will be, this ICA will be a destination.
It’s perfectly located to be a gateway to the city. It will be very interesting to see how the programming impacts the students’ work. It’s been a long time coming and I think Richmond really deserves the ICA.

4. If you could have lunch with any contemporary artist, living or dead, who would it be and why?
There are many contemporary artists I would enjoy having lunch with, including Ron Johnson, Dona Nelson, Richard Roth, James Sienna, Joan Snyder, Gary Stephan, and Heide Trepanier, to name just a few. I would love to have lunch with my dear friend Cindy Neuchwander.

Why? Because they are all very smart, funny, and amazing people to have a conversation with! And I love good company!

Sally Bowring is an artist, arts advocate, and public art commissioner for the city of Richmond in addition to her role as assistant professor at the Painting and Printmaking department at VCUarts.